Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fruit Tart (crostata di frutta)



Shortcrust recipes are plentiful, so I am not attempting to reinvent the wheel, but I thought you might find my tips useful.

When making a fruit tart, you can choose from slightly different shortcrust  (fastafrolla)  recipes.  Most American shortcrust recipes use cold water as the binder, whereas the Italian version uses egg yolks, which gives the crust more of a yellow color.  I have also seen recipes with a combination of the two (some water and one egg yolk). If following a sweet shortcrust recipe, I recommend using no more than 1 tablespoon of sugar, otherwise the tart will end up being too sweet.I also prefer to add lemon zest to the dough, which confers an extra level of flavor that complements the fruit topping. For the filling, I either use homemade egg custard (crema pasticcera), or a combination of egg custard and fresh whipped cream (whipped cream, powdered sugar), combined together at a ratio of about 2:1. If your cream is too runny, you can also add a bit of gelatin to it to thicken it. Then top your cream creatively with your favorite fruit, and finish off with gelatin or powdered sugar if you wish.You will be sure to impress your guests. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment